ch-scene - Re: Copied from the DPR mailing list: Music on the CCB Plaza

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "James Hepler" <hepstyle AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Copied from the DPR mailing list: Music on the CCB Plaza
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 15:15:00 -0400

I know it varies depending on the band in question, but a lot of the time,
the holdup comes down from the sound guy/stage manager/club owner who feels
bad that no one is in there. I stand guilty of just that WRT the polvo and
superchunk benefit shows. But the hold time was more or less strict. In my
experience (YMMV), the band just says, "tell us when to play and we'll
play". The Conor show, we were told that they wanted us on at 8:30, but
that didn't matter as long as we were DONE by 9. Our set length was up to
us, but no way was the opening band going to be the reason the show went
late.

I would like for the next Secondhand Freespace topic to be "Stop talking and
GET YOUR SHIT OFF STAGE - Tips for maintaining good working relationships
with fellow bands and show-goers part one" followed by part two: "Hey
opening band, there wasn't a worm-hole, your 35 minute set just lasted 75
minutes"