ch-scene - Re: Finding good music in Chapel Hill

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Duncan Murrell <dvmurrell AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Finding good music in Chapel Hill
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:57:45 -0400

Wait, what do you mean by "older"?

www.rattlejar.com

On Aug 8, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Joel Peck <joelpeck88 AT hotmail.com> wrote:

Chapel Hill
Shredder/Guitarist,
You make some points I agree with (but have
heard for years). As you point out-there’s a percentage of people in the Chapel Hill diaspora (they exist in every scene), who add
very little and feel entitled to a lot. They’re here, but what can y ou do? If
it’s a band, they usually don’t last. If it’s a clique of people, they usually
go through the revolving door eventually-off to a new city where no one will miss them when
they leave. Who knows where their attitude comes from? Maybe it comes from Chapel Hill’s recognition in the independent music scene.
That’s odd; because I don’t think my age group (25-32) had anything to do with
that. The older people I meet who made it happen are the nicest, least
pretentious people of all. I guess all their success went to my generation’s
head. Those people could care less about this listserv. They are not missed.

I say if you can recognize that there's more positive aspects to the people in the local scene, you’re giving respect that enables healt hy
dialogue, debate, and disagreements. Many of the members here do just that. It’s
part of the reason some really good discussions have taken place recently. We
respect each other’s knowledge, experience, humor, insight, and effo rt. I think
it would do you some good to change monikers (even for a 3rd time),
come back, and just listen for awhile, get to know what people think by reading
what they say. Maybe you’ll understand why your comments have ruffle d the
feathers of some. Perhaps you’ll recognize how little your thoughts have contributed
because of how ill-informed and negative they've been. You have a tendency to make
broad generalizations about people here, you shit on people’s work, and you
accuse everyone of wronging you when you should thank them for tolerating you. Worst
of all, your gripes are unoriginal. I hear them all the time. That said, I’ve
gone to bat for you, given you the benefit of the doubt, and told others to go
easy. I still think your intentions are, at the core, good. That’s w hy you
should stick around. You’re not as different as you think. We all fu ck up here-sadly,
I am rather awesome at it. Fortunately though, some stereotypes are good- people
are more forgiving here. Even if you play a show with a $25 admission price,
even if that show features the same people you saw play in October 2001 in DC
for $4, even if it’s obvious the $25 fee is because of the headliner -whose
music has paved the way for the great sissification of indie rock, who should
be opening for the local band… Forgive me. I forgive you. Take some time to learn about the people on this listserv, go to some shows an d meet people. You may have a better understanding of how small the clique of dumbshits really are-in number and influence. Try and let go of whatever makes you feel so victimized. No one ends up here bec ause they're cool.