ch-scene - Re: Finding good music in Chapel Hill

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Mel <melissa.thomas AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Finding good music in Chapel Hill
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 06:28:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 30, 8:51 am, gr... AT ibiblio.org (grady) wrote:
> There's a lot missing from your description of what you're looking for.
> Were there bands in Laz Vegaz who fit your criteria? If so, do they have
> MySpace pages so we can listen & perhaps come up with some suggestions?
> As you no doubt know, words can be inaccurate sometimes.
>
> For example, you say "Skillz: can play more than single notes or triads
> on their instruments," but you don't really address the question of
> whether the notes being played are the right notes, played at the right
> time, to further the goals of the composition.
>
> It's difficult to generalize about Triangle musicians, but one common
> denominator among the best ones is that they, for the most part, enjoy
> collaborating with their peers, and to that end they're often more than
> willing to forego extended displays of their own individual technical
> prowess, in favor of playing the right part for the song.
>
> To cite but one example: Bryon Settle is an amazing guitar player, could
> play most anybody under the table, but when he's playing with Killer
> Filler, and with Lud, the focus is on the ensemble, for the most part.
> Sure, he takes some extended solos with Lud, but even then it's less
> about "skillz" as you define them, and more about playing exactly the
> right note at exactly the right time. Sometimes that means just *one*
> note, but when you hear it, you know in your gut that it's the only one
> that could possibly fit.
>
> Of course, I might be misinterpreting what you're looking for, which is
> why I encourage you to cite some examples.
>
> Ross
>

> rogerwilkins... AT gmail.com wrote:
> > What a great town we live near ( Irecently moved here from Las
> > Vegas). Great food, arts, science, community and the University make
> > it a life enriching place to be. One thing I want to share is my
> > disappointment with the music around here.
>
> > Where are the bands with excellent skillz? (Skillz: can play more
> > than single notes or triads on their instruments)
>
> > I have made a point to visit The Cave, Local 506, Mansion 462, He's
> > Not Here and others but the local bands I hear play are, well, lacking
> > in the skillz department. Some of the lyrics are catchy but the
> > music, for the most part, would make simple Simon rejoice.
>
> > Where can an educated, literate and lover of well written and
> > performed live music go to see consistently good, competent musicians
> > week after week?
>
> > Thanks for your help.
>
> > Roger
>
> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill
> --http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene

Hi,

Just read this thread. Was wondering when someone was going to ask
about Vegas. Last time I checked you could see
polished emo bands at House of Blues and not much beyond that.

These bands that DJ Stevo listed (excellent list Stevo).
> Bull City
> Hammer No More the Fingers
> Annuals
> The Physics of Meaning
> Tooth
> Megafaun
> Valient Thorr
> Red Collar
> I Was Totally Destroying It
> Lud
> The Old Ceremony
> Lost in the Trees

Make up a percentage of bands that are out there in the triangle
actively playing right now. Because Stevo did not want to overwhelm
there was no mention of
des ark
bellafea
The Pnuerotics
The Midtown Dickens
The Future Kings of Nowhere
Cantwell Gomez and Jordan
Caltrop
Maple Stave
Water Callers
Birds of Avalon

I mention these others because I spend a fair amount of time buying
local music and listening to it.

Kudos to Ross and Bryon who asked the question.

Do you wanna go out sometime?

Mel~
www.307knoxrecords.com
www.myspace.com/307knoxrex