ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of June 27, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: david gourley <davidg.nospam.news AT verizon.net>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of June 27, 2008
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 19:26:36 +0200 (CEST)

pneurotics AT yahoo.com (The Pneurotics) put forth the notion
in...666957.85794.qm AT web58105.mail.re3.yahoo.com:">news:666957.85794.qm AT web58105.mail.re3.yahoo.com:

> Here's some feedback on playing at the Pizza Palace:
>
> We (the pneurotics) played there on Friday night with Bull City. We
added the Dry Heathens to the bill last minute since their show at Double
Down was cancelled.

> Pizza Palace is a funky spot, kitchy Italian decor, weird geodesic dome,
and kinda L-shaped downstairs, with a birdsnest bar up in the dome.
Suprisingly, sound was great, small room, with carpet, and ceiling tiles--
makes for good absorption. The volume was manageable, you could hear
equally well anywhere in the room, and could converse if you wish. It was
our PA, and DIY sound, but simple.

> Load in is the best in town. Back your car to the red door, open and 5
paces to the "stage". No stairs.

> The staff took really good care of the bands-- pizza is fabulous, and I
highly recommend the deep fried banana peppers. $2 PBR's. Full bar.

> 100% of the door goes to the bands. Not too shabby. Built in crowd is
so-so, but we brought people, and the overwhelming consensus was "hey- this
place is pretty cool-- I didn't even know it was here..." I don't know how
many people it could fit, but we had over 50 and it was really comfortable,
with plenty of places to sit, stand, lounge, bar space. Not too smoky
either.

> Bottom line- bands, it's a great option to play in Durham with the town's
currently limited options.

> Contact them at bookingatpizzapalace AT gmail.com
>
> see ya'll round town,
> Mimi

Pizza Palace is one of Durham's not-so-best-kept secrets !

david