ch-scene - Re: X last night...maybe my favorite Cradle show ever

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: X last night...maybe my favorite Cradle show ever
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 16:29:39 -0700 (PDT)

Funny, I felt like eating my words about all reunions being above-par.
For me, I just couldn't get into X last night and contemplated leaving
mid-way through. From where I was standing, the sound was really bad
(which is rare for a Cradle show.) I moved back toward the bar where
the mix was better, but more space for distractions from the show.
When I finally decided to leave during the last encore, i found the
sweet-spot near the merch stand where it sounded great - had I been
standing there the entire time, i could foresee having a different
experience.

Of course, I was thinking...maybe reunions are only great the first
time. Again, loved X circa 2000 and definitely thought the Gang of
Four show in DC trumped the Cradle show six months later (though the
Cradle show was still really good!) But now glad I passed on the
second Pressure Boys show - as the first night is likely the best show
I've seen all year!

I did think X's song choice was great - played some of my favorite
album tracks like 'Some Other Time', 'Because I Do,' and 'The Have
Nots'.

Okay, I must not think bad thoughts...glenn