ch-scene - Re: Chicago

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Evan Rowe <evanrowe AT fastmail.fm>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Chicago
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 23:31:31 -0400

Do you eat meat?

Kuma's [http://www.kumas-corner.com/]

If you eat meat and don't go there, well, I don't know what to do with you. They have incredible burgers named after metal bands, metal playing, and a lot of good beer, which is a beverage often associated with metal. Note: you do not have to like metal to appreciate the other two.

Hot Doug's [http://www.hotdougs.com/]

"There are no two finer words in the English language than 'encased meats,' my friend." Enough said.

If you don't eat meat, you can do just fine at

Irazu [http://www.irazuchicago.com/]

Costa Rican. You can bring your own beer and sit outside. You will likely order too much food.

Chicago is full of good food and unpretentious people and a stunning public transportation system [buy the three-day pass and hop on and off the trains and buses at will]. I love it.

hope this helps,

=Evan

thegav AT hotmail.com wrote:
Hello, all. I am headed to Chicago for a weekend in August. Staying 2
nights, catching a Cubs game, maybe doing some kinda architecture
tour. Other than that, I am largely ignorant. Does anyone with vast
Chicago experience have any advice for a curious traveler on the best
neighborhoods to walk, meals to eat, etc? Anything would be much
appreciated.

So that this is not off-topic, I remember once when Red Star Belgrade
moved there. To Chicago. And I once saw a band from Chicago play in
Chapel Hill. The Coctails. And I saw that weird Wilco show at the Dook
quad. And one time in New York I sang a not-very-touching duet with a
large schizophrenic man/songwriter from Chicago who is, I think, now
deceased.

Cheers,
GAVIN