ch-scene - Re: Chicago

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Chicago
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 11:06:13 -0400

If you're remotely interested in architecture, you can spend an entire week in Chicago just looking at it, both the classic Sullivan & other skyscrapery stuff downtown (http://www.cityofchicago.org/Landmarks/) , as well as the Frank Lloyd Wright motherlode in Oak Park:
http://www.gowright.org/

Kevin Slater wrote:
Chicago is a great food town. it is also a super large city. It kinda depends on where you're staying.

That said, it's pretty easy to get downtown. There is a GREAT zoo right in the middle of the city and it's FREE! http://www.lpzoo.org

If you are up north there is a awesome eatery on Lunt called Heartland http://www.heartlandcafe.com/hc_index.htm

There is a phenomenal vegetarian place run by Korean religious cultist wack jobs called Alice and Friends. If the food wasn't so good I would have never gone back. http://www.aliceandfriends.com/ seriously, it's worth the crazy. They don't bug you, but they have a video of their cult leader lady talking the whole time about jesus and aliens.

Lou Malnati's > Gino's East > Giordano's > Edwardo's. All are great and any will be the best pizza you ever eat. Eat pizza.

Before or after the Cubs game go to Pick Me Up Cafe for some great food. http://www.google.com/search?q=pick+me+up+chicago

There are a lot of great shops right there on clark st if you head south (lake on your left) from the ballpark. There's a good margarita place there too called caesars.

Can you see why I gained like 80 pounds when I lived there? I feel like all I did was eat!!

As for attractions one of my favorites was the Museum of Science and Industry. http://www.msichicago.org

The Field Museum of course http://www.fieldmuseum.org/

There is the GREAT art museum http://www.artic.edu/aic/index.php

Shedd has already been mentioned.

There are a couple boat tours that leave from Navy Pier (tourist trap!) that are pretty good. I think that's where you catch the architecture tour, so since you'll be there anyway check out the skyline tour. It's pretty short. It basically goes out in to the lake a bit and the guy talks about the buildings and a little history. Including some about this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ George_Streeter

There is a great gangster tour http://www.gangstertour.com/ and a great black history tour that I can't seem to find a link for. You can probably find something there about it.
The gangster tour is fun because all the dudes that give the tour are dressed as 1920s gangsters and carry around tommy guns.

Hey while you're up there maybe you can play quarterback for the bears! I have little doubt that you'd be better that the yahoo they currently have in the position. Go Cubbies, etc etc.

k.