ch-scene - Re: Cary-scene (was:End of Another Era..)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Cary-scene (was:End of Another Era..)
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:21:33 -0500

Well, looking at what is apparently the main index page for "The Scene" (http://www.carynews.com/117/index.html) it appears that they've only run 4 stories under that heading since last May (all of them in early Feb '08, in fact) and of those, 2 of them were about this dude. I think somebody has a crush . . . . (or a friend who writes for the Cary paper).

Jeffrey Herrick wrote:
I guess the thing that got me is that its written right after the N&O put out the local great 8 (they are in the same newspaper). I guess she thought all of the picks sorta stunk as well as everything else written in the Indy.. And from the 1st few paragraphs make it clear she is not just unhappy with the Cary scene.. I just don't know what this guy she loves so much has to do '90s buzz in Chapel Hill.. I can understand why the Rovers sorta stink to a Nashville transplant living in Cary.. but man did she listen to Bull City or Bowerbirds etc..? I know its pointless to try to understand.. so I'll second Grady's take..

1st few paragraphs of article..
"I’m gonna come right out and say it. The local music scene around here sort
of stinks.Sure, there’s the Cat’s Cradle in Carrboro that gets the bulk of the
area’s good tours, Local 506 down the street in Chapel Hill to take care of the
smaller acts, and I suppose Lincoln Theatre in downtown Raleigh has its moments.
But where are our great local bands? There was buzz in the ’90s that Chapel
Hill was to be the next Seattle.
I think that’s why I get so excited when someone like James..... comes along."