ch-scene - Re: The Cycle of Life

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: The Cycle of Life
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:10:45 -0500

Hey look, Grayson defended "Eh, Whatever" in print in the last paragraph of that article. Everybody go reiterate your arguments against it in the comments!

I can't really comment on the rest of the article, as I almost never read the N&O. I *do* read David Menconi's blog, because it has an RSS feed & thus I'm alerted when he posts to it. I wish they'd provide blanket RSS feeds for all their writers, so I could drop Menconi's & Greg Cox's in my reader & be reminded to check 'em out .

According to the Indy, if I could remember to read David regularly, I'd rarely see local coverage. I know him well enough to know that he still pays avid attention to local music (last time I saw him was at the Trekky Christmas show at the Cradle last month, in fact), so I can only assume that there are some Bad Editorial Policies at least partly to blame for the unevenness of the N&O's local coverage.

I don't think I share the Indy's opinion that the Great 8 is worse than no coverage at all. I do find it amusing to look back over the past few years of the Great 8 & see how many of them lived up to the "ones to watch this year" hype. Unfortunately, they don't make that easy to do online. In fact, their archive search is so screwy that I'm led to wonder whether the Indy's research was accurate enough to be relied upon.

Ross

James Hepler wrote:
I was reading this
(http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A167454)
today and it reminded me of a discussion we had here
nearly 8 years ago. Funny how shit works. History
and all that. Boy was I a dumb kid. Now a dumb
adult, at least I'm consistent in my seeing our
community as being a generally positive force in the
universe, obvious exceptions notwithstanding.

J Alfred Prufrock, I miss you.

http://tinylink.com/?2Sm212UFYM