ch-scene - Re: Eschewing the physical CD itself in favor of....

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Baby Messy <bilboa AT baggins.con>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Eschewing the physical CD itself in favor of....
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:52:11 -0500

grady wrote:
> You want to know what's even sadder? Many of us judge CDs we get by the
> cover art. Not necessarily in the sense that we'd try to predict the
> style of music based on it (though after you've seen a few thousand, you
> can do that, too), but rather that there are certain cover-art mistakes
> that are apparently 100% reliable indicators that your band sucks. Go
> figure.
>
> No, I'm not going to tell you what they are, either. I don't think you
> (Gilbert) made any on yours, though, so you're OK there. But I wouldn't
> want to spoil this valuable time-saving tool for the rest of us.

That is something I took for granted as well, and although I like my
cover, a good tip for anyone who might be tempted to use their
girlfriend's MS paint skills and a brick wall, there are online review
sites that claim that they will review all CDs they receive, but that
isn't, nor can it be true. They have a pool of folks who have their
choice of reviewing any CD that comes in.

So needless to say, once the clamoring for the latest Sufjan Stevens CD
subsides, they're left with a random sampling, and I was informed that
if the cover or the title compelled them, they'd give it a spin. If not,
not. That's how arbitrary it has to be, I guess.