ch-scene - Eschewing the physical CD itself in favor of....

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Baby Messy <bilboa AT baggins.con>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Eschewing the physical CD itself in favor of....
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:49:36 -0500

It's been about 3/4 of a year since I had my first CD done. I've learned
a lot of lessons that will come in handy next time.

I was thrilled. THRILLED when that UPS man showed up with my 1000 discs.
All pretty. I think I still have maybe 400 left and I've pollinated
pretty well.

The next release, I was thinking of what I've learned since the first one:

1. The songs that I thought were killer, the songs I put first on the
CD, were actually not the strongest songs. Ouch! The first song, Jesus,
has confounded some, angered others, and frankly left most people
nonplussed.

2. The reproduction and mailing of the CD has been the most expensive
part of the process. $1400 (Oasis, love 'em) + mailing about 12 a week
for three months to people in the Indie Bible. (I stopped after getting
too few results and almost no reviews---google my name). This is not to
admit failure but to perhaps try not fit the profile of an insane person
so closely.

3. I have a slab of music that I worked on for a while and have in
perpetuity to share with my children and theirs. Is that enough? It was
once, but if it isn't, what else do I want?

I plan on getting the next one mastered at the Kitchen just like I did
DTBWM, but how should I minimize my costs? Can I have, say, 300 printed
up and do the rest digitally? What strategies can I use?

Do I need a physical CD at all?