ch-scene - Re: Eschewing the physical CD itself in favor of....

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: breed AT email.unc.edu
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Eschewing the physical CD itself in favor of....
  • Date: 28 Feb 2007 18:30:31 -0800

On Feb 25, 1:49 pm, Baby Messy <bil... AT baggins.con> wrote:
> It's been about 3/4 of a year since I had my first CD done. I've learned
> a lot of lessons that will come in handy next time.
>
> I was thrilled. THRILLED when that UPS man showed up with my 1000 discs.
> All pretty. I think I still have maybe 400 left and I've pollinated
> pretty well.
>
> The next release, I was thinking of what I've learned since the first one:
>
> 1. The songs that I thought were killer, the songs I put first on the
> CD, were actually not the strongest songs. Ouch! The first song, Jesus,
> has confounded some, angered others, and frankly left most people
> nonplussed.
>
> 2. The reproduction and mailing of the CD has been the most expensive
> part of the process. $1400 (Oasis, love 'em) + mailing about 12 a week
> for three months to people in the Indie Bible. (I stopped after getting
> too few results and almost no reviews---google my name). This is not to
> admit failure but to perhaps try not fit the profile of an insane person
> so closely.
>
> 3. I have a slab of music that I worked on for a while and have in
> perpetuity to share with my children and theirs. Is that enough? It was
> once, but if it isn't, what else do I want?
>
> I plan on getting the next one mastered at the Kitchen just like I did
> DTBWM, but how should I minimize my costs? Can I have, say, 300 printed
> up and do the rest digitally? What strategies can I use?
>
> Do I need a physical CD at all?

I can only speak for myself. I still get warm fuzzies every time I get
a CD in the mail. I guess we don't get quite as many as the other
critics, sad.

Anyway, I do try to get everything that comes in up for review
somewhere, even if it ends up on a stack on my desk that I review in a
blitzkrieg between studying for finals. See the DiveBlog around
December for proof.

I think timeliness is the most important aspect of sending out promos,
after knowing who you're sending them to. But for a general music
publication that doesn't go by genre, make sure the CD comes in before
its release, if possible.

As far as mp3s...I gladly accept them and will listen to mp3s just as
fast as CDs, but I feel like I'm in the minority. And as I said, I do
appreciate a hard copy.

Hope that helps,

Bryan from Diversions