ch-scene - Re: Kings/Raleigh Music Hall/Wetlands

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Todd Morman" <tmorman AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Kings/Raleigh Music Hall/Wetlands
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 18:47:31 -0500

What Jason said. I really doubt the music fans loitering or the
"progressive"-but-high-on-convention-center-koolaid mayor had anything to do
with this, Ross. My guess is the landlord's gonna sell for big bucks, which
would have happened to any business there, no? But I guess we can ask Steve
and co. for more details (you guys are reading this, right?). As for Raleigh
Music Hall, wasn't that Martin Street and a whole bunch of other places? I
don't know how they'd been doing over the last two years, but for a long
time before that, it had trouble deciding what it was and finding an
audience, often due to sudden management decisions to change the nature of
the club with no notice. That may have been under former owners, - like I
said, I haven't been paying attention for a couple of years - but I remember
that spot going from a gay-friendly spot to a hip-hop club to a hipster
joint on what seemed a monthly basis, with no warning at all. I still know
folks who have bad feelings about the way, if I recall correctly, they
cancelled the wednesday dnb nights by closing down one week, leaving the djs
outside the locked door, wondering what was going on. Hard to come back from
stuff like that once word gets around.

Anyway, bottom line sounds like Kings is the only real crisis here, and
looks like they're working on it. We'll see how tough the city makes it for
them.

todd oh and "I don't think the arts in Raleigh suffered any worse under Tom
Fetzer" is a fairly ridiculous statement morman