ch-scene - Re: mmmmmm, Durham

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Mz. Binge & Sir Beloved" <tofiatravels AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: mmmmmm, Durham
  • Date: 14 Dec 2006 14:51:08 -0800

Good discussion here...snarky or no.

Chris ... I totally understand what you are saying about the manners
violation - but to me, the support of food created by shoving a huge
pipe down a bird's throat is a bigger deal than bad manners by showing
the world (that is, alt-music.chapel-hill, of course!) an email
response.

But, that said, I think it is more effective as an activist to engage
in postive outreach rather than negative protest. That's why this
isn't a campaign I'm starting - but it is information to supplement the
other side of things, the taste. So, it isn't just about Piedmont but
about the industry that supports this cruelty as a whole. Which leads
me to...

Grady ... re; the list you sent - I was just discussing this very thing
with a friend (whom I won't mention to avoid another Emily Post
violation). We react to what is immediate (such as a kid being kicked
in the street), which isn't always the most effective. But I think it
is important that if the majority is celebrating a meat product on a
discussion string on this list, the minority is able to express their
(non- celebratory) view - though, let me tell you, it isn't easy...as
no one wants to be a Debbie Downer...but that crap is just too cruel
not to say anything.

Oh - and Rob wants me to say that supporting local businesses, bands,
and artists is something we feel strongly about - and engage in - but
local does not always equate with ethical. Did I mention that we're
going through Joe and Jo's withdrawals?

Back to positive activism...in this case, eating a vegan cookie...

--eleni

====