ch-scene - Re: OT: "NCWRC News Releases:" Snakes On A Plane

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: John Iwaniszek <not AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: OT: "NCWRC News Releases:" Snakes On A Plane
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:48:14 GMT

grady wrote:

> So, it's also illegal in NC to relocate a mammal (living or dead, as
> far as I know) from your property to anyplace else without a permit.
> Does anybody know if that's also true for other branches of the animal
> kingdom?

Next time I have a mouse infestation, I will contact my local NC Wildlife
Damage Control Agent for a depredation permit.

Seriously: The NC Wildlife Commission herptologist told me that capturing
snakes and removing them to wild areas is permitted if they aren't listed
on the endangered species list. Copperheads aren't.

Even if they were, it would be irresponsible as a father and neighbor to
leave a potentially dangerous animal on my property. What are the
alternatives? Killing it? Not if I can help it. Locating, calling, and
then waiting for someone ostensibly more qualified than me to show up and
capture the snake? Sorry. Not going to happen.