ch-scene - Re: OT: "NCWRC News Releases:" Snakes On A Plane

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: John Iwaniszek <not AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: OT: "NCWRC News Releases:" Snakes On A Plane
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:38:22 GMT

grady wrote:

> For once in my life, John, I wasn't actually accusing you of
> malfeasance. I was just curious because I'd read something that seemed
> specifically to apply to mammals (not sure if the main concern is just
> not relocating your nuisance raccoon to somebody else's trashcan, or
> the larger issue of rabies spread) but it didn't seem clear as to
> whether it also applied to snakes, or to Kevin Grealey's turtles that
> he's always throwing in the trunk of his car.
>
> On the other hand, I *do* think you're batshit crazy for picking up
> copperheads & wandering around with them. ;-)
>
> Ross

I didn't think you were accusing me of anything. Now or ever.

The rules surrounding the depredation permit seem to be somewhat unclear.
>From what I could glean they (the NCWRC) seem most concerned with large
mammals, migratory waterfowl, fish, and miscelaneous endangered species.

Among snakes, rattlers would fall under the endangered species category and
would be. In the unlikely event that I would find one of those in my back
yard, no protected status would cause me to hesitate to eliminate that
particular threat. I can't let one of those get away in my neighborhood
and expose my family or my neighbors to the threat those snakes pose.

Copperheads are a different story. They aren't (in my experience)
particularly aggressive and they seem very easy to handle. A long handle
rake and a paper shopping bag is all I feel is necessary. Opinions will no
doubt vary.