ch-scene - Re: OT: "NCWRC News Releases:" Snakes On A Plane

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: John Iwaniszek <not AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: OT: "NCWRC News Releases:" Snakes On A Plane
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:02:07 GMT

Margaret Campbell wrote:

> Mildly misleading, though. Copperheads do tend to be mean and
> grouchy. The others will escape if given the change; copperheads, if
> they think you are in the space they want to be in, will threaten.
> And yes, even strike.
>
> Only one reported death, but a lot more people who suffered pain from
> their bites.

The two that I captured were very laconic. Both stayed exactly where
they were found despite several people standing around gawking and much
to-ing and fro-ing. One other I found in Umstead out in the woods was
just sitting in the leaves. I found it because as I was about to step on
it, it (lazily) raised its head. If it had not made that small movement
I would not have seen it and would have probably stepped on it. This one
also stayed put for a leisurely photo-op.

The second one I caught ran at me, but only after my repeated attempts to
scoop him or her up failed. Once I got it draped over the rake and in
the bag, it calmed down. By the time I got it to the park and out in the
woods, it was back to its calm lazy self.

Based on these three limited experiences, I think that human/copperhead
conflict is most likely to be either accidental (the things don't run
when people are around and people stumble over them) or the result of
human stupidity (people are lulled by the snake's reticience and think it
is an easy mark. Once they make a grab for it, the snake freaks.
Whackiness ensues.).

I had a fourth encounter with a copper head in Raleigh over by Crabtree
Creek off of Wake Forest Road on W. Hodges Street. I was bicycling
through there one Sunday several years ago and found a dead one by the
side of the road. It was easily 4 feet long and 7-8 inches around. The
three live ones I found were probably a year old or less. I have no way
to estimate the age of the giant one.