ch-scene - Re: BMI vs. ASCAP vs. SESAC

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Erich R. Peace" <floydianslip127 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: BMI vs. ASCAP vs. SESAC
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 08:55:42 -0500

ASCAP for me hands down!

Ben Davis wrote:

Hep
I've been with SESAC for 5 years now -
they are terrible - dont believe the hype -

They always want YOU ( the artist ) to alert them when your stuff is being played - royalites are tiny -

I didnt get aNY m oney (and my stuff was being used on MTV shows and stuff) until I practically threatened to sue -

ASCAP is WAY better - in my band Bats&Mice - my guitar player is ASCAP - and gets wayyyyyy more for stuff - its sad -

SoundExchange doesnt pay much at all either - I've charted regularly on XM - had a whole live show recorded and aired there - and gotten like 6 dollars and 17 cent checks -

but
every little bit helps - I guess -

James Hepler wrote:

Hey music people. Which is better and why?

I've been with BMI for the better part of the last
decade, and while the royalty checks have never been
substantial, I've been fairly happy with them.
My question is, is one generally better than the
other? Are they different enough to even make a
distinction? My understanding is that SESAC is good
for bands who aim for college radio charting while the
others are maybe better for commercial radio sellout
type bands.

And I've heard that ASCAP is better than BMI because
it was formed by musicians while BMI was formed by
industry folks.

Help me out!