ch-scene - BMI vs. ASCAP vs. SESAC

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Alt.Music Chapel-Hill" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: BMI vs. ASCAP vs. SESAC
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 08:50:59 -0800 (PST)

Hey music people. Which is better and why?

I've been with BMI for the better part of the last
decade, and while the royalty checks have never been
substantial, I've been fairly happy with them.

My question is, is one generally better than the
other? Are they different enough to even make a
distinction? My understanding is that SESAC is good
for bands who aim for college radio charting while the
others are maybe better for commercial radio sellout
type bands.

And I've heard that ASCAP is better than BMI because
it was formed by musicians while BMI was formed by
industry folks.

Help me out!