ch-scene - Re: Tuesday Indie Rock at the Library and bigger issues

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Sarah Freeman <sfree18 AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Tuesday Indie Rock at the Library and bigger issues
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:26:35 -0500

As a duke student (cue the booos) my perception is that the chronicle is not well read, especially Recess (the weekly entertainment section). Also, they have started covering more mainstream pop and less local stuff. I know that there IS a group of kids who love music, but do not realize that there's so much to offer around here... this is probably because of duke's seclusive and sheltered nature. it's gonna take a lot of word of mouth and what not to change things. in short, i would not have been aware of the music opportunities offered by this area if i had not done the leg work to meet local musicians. so yes, there is some sort of gap and the curiosity is there, though limited. s