ch-scene - Re: Durham music scene

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Mary M. Brunnemer" <marymarymb AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Durham music scene
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:53:53 -0500

As a person that went to UNC and lots of shows in the early 90s AND as part of the 10+ year older crowd that still goes out to shows, I'd say I agree with both Glenn and MOD. I go to lots of local band shows, but it just doesn't feel like the "scene" (or whatever you wanna call it) was in the early 90s around here. The shows don't seem as well attended anymore.

I do feel old at some shows, but it's usually at the shows of national acts, not local bands. It's fun not to be the oldest person in the bar, but I always wonder where the college students are. Sadly, as much as I think I'm keeping up with local music, I still feel like most of the local music I'm aware of are either reunions of bands from the olden days, bands featuring ex-band members from bands that existed in the early 90s, or people that I know or know of. I just recently reacquainted myself with the 2 local music shows on WXDU and WXYC. I learned quite a bit in just one night, went out that night to see the band interviewed on the air, and ended up discovering one of the best CDs I bought all year (the Strugglers--not exactly local, but close). Unfortunately, there were hardly any people in attendance at that (Wetlands) show.

I think I knew a lot more about a lot more local bands back in day--but I don't think it was necessarily because I was a UNC student. I learned a lot from WXYC as a student, but sadly, the general population of the campus had no idea the radio station existed. I think I learned more from the job I had in the service industry (like Glenn said). Most of the kitchen staff in the restaurant where I worked was in a band or knew of other bands, etc. and maybe that's where I learned so much about local music.

I keep hearing people say that you have to put your band on things like myspace these days to survive as a small/local band. Well I know times are different--and maybe I'm old-fashioned--but bands did just fine without that in the early 90s. So maybe everyone should follow Glenn's advice and just go out and support these bands more--whether in a band or not. I have been quite surprised at how poorly attended a lot of the local band shows are--especially when they're free. Believe me, if it's a show I'm interested in, I ain't afraid to tell 50 of my closest friends to go, but it doesn't always work. And maybe there are more venues around right now, but it's still sad to me that the Local 506 (which has been part of the heart of this music scene for so long) has to have free shows and reduce its schedule due to lack of support.

Oh, and I am not and have never been in a band, yet I think I do my part in supporting the local music scene. So there. And uh, I've never been to Teasers.

-Mary