ch-scene - Re: chappy advice?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: chappy advice?
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 11:15:38 -0500

It's all timing in both directions. John wouldn't enjoy his commute
nearly as much if he were consistently leaving 20-30 minutes later, and
I can guarantee that, having done it myself for a couple of years ;-)

I think if we're going to generalize, generally speaking, averaged
across the full rush-hour range, commuting to & from home in CH & work
in Raleigh will be slightly less painful than the inverse, although as
more & more people have started filling in the available land around 751
& Fayetteville Road south of I-40, it has gotten worse, and will
continue to do so. Nevertheless, at present the I-40 widening, which
simply brought the Raleigh->RTP leg up to its already-needed capacity,
has left the CH->RTP leg with a wee bit of extra capacity. Won't last
long, though.

In any case, these commute options will ALL be more painful than living
close to work, assuming work is something you plan to do daily for the next
umpty-zillion years.

Chris: what makes you want to move that far away from work? I ask
because a few years ago I bought land in Chatham County about 12 miles
west of Chapel Hill, which added 15-18 minutes to my commute (bringing
it to 35-40 minutes total). "No biggie," I thought, "what's 15 extra
minutes?" Ha. Everybody has a butt-clock for how long they can sit in
the car before they start to get antsy, and it turns out mine is set at
around 25-30 minutes.

It's not a life-ruining thing, but it will annoy you more than you might
think now.

Ross

Doug Sutton wrote:
Maybe it's the timing. I'm usually leaving CH between 8:00 and 8:15,
and I never have any trouble eastbound.

In the evening, I don't leave Raleigh until 6, so I'm reaching CH kind of late, and maybe all the traffic has thinned out (going west -- it's certainly nasty at the 40/Wade split). I do notice a backup
at 54 going into town if I go home a little early, but since I use
86 it's not a problem for me.