ch-scene - ACTION: Durham wants to kill downtown entertainment

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Caleb Southern" <southernc AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: ACTION: Durham wants to kill downtown entertainment
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:31:58 -0500

Thanks to those of you who emailed Durham officials on this issue.

I spoke with Durham County Commissioner Ellen Reckhow last night.

She has backed off her position as reported in the Herald-Sun this week.
While she still wants to look at the issue of residents vs. nightlife in
downtown Durham, her comments were much more reasonable.

The argument I made that resonated strongest with her was:
- There are about 25 current residents inside the "downtown loop" historic
district in Durham.
- There will be maybe 50 within a couple of years, and this number will top
out at maybe 100.
- How can the interests of a handful of these 100 people outweigh the
importance of a vibrant Main Street for all of Durham, serving a county of
almost 300,000 people?

(I am a downtown resident, and support entertainment businesses, as do many
others who live here.)

Eternal vigilance on these issues is still, as always, a necessity.

***

Let's review recent proposals by our "leadership" on the Downtown Durham
cultural and entertainment landscape:

- The City actively recruited CLEAR CHANNEL -- with an $18 million subsidy
to build a 4000 seat big box on 8 acres downtown across from the jail.
(Resolved, thanks to community pressure)

- Boosters and elected officials propose zoning laws to limit or prohibit
nightlife and entertainment businesses in Downtown Durham -- which would
impact small businesses and local entrepreneurs the hardest.

Do you see a pattern emerging?

If Durham wants to turn our dead downtown into a high-rent, sleepy enclave
with lots of offices a few generic big box amenities nearby, our leaders are
certainly doing a great job.

If, on the other hand, we want a vibrant downtown, with local restaurants,
shops, cafes, and yes - nightlife, it appears that our leadership continues
to take steps that send the signal these people are not wanted.

Bill Kalkhof is the staff president of Downtown Durham, Inc. (DDI) -- a
booster organization for economic development in the City Center.

You can reach him at:
bkalkhof AT downtowndurham.com
682-2800

Feel free to copy our city and county leaders at:

commissioners AT co.durham.nc.us; mruffin AT co.durham.nc.us;
council AT ci.durham.nc.us; Patrick.Baker AT durhamnc.gov;

And if you wish, forward your email to me at:
southernc AT mindspring.com

All best,
Caleb