ch-scene - re: ACTION: Durham wants to kill downtown entertainment

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Caleb Southern" <southernc AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: re: ACTION: Durham wants to kill downtown entertainment
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:46:23 -0500

What Ellen Reckhow is proposing would eliminate Ringside and Talk of the
Town in downtown Durham (private clubs). It would also, according to Durham
Planning Director Frank Duke, threaten establishments like Blayloc and Joe &
Jo's.

I have no problem with the other (unrelated) issue, which most Durham
officials generally supported in the Herald-Sun article. Residential
neighborhoods may well benefit from additional oversight and checks and
balances in regard to proposed new adult establishments as neighbors.

Reckhow linked two unrelated issues. The issue I brought up is not about
strip clubs in downtown Durham. What she proposed here is a draconian NIMBY
solution that would potentially affect and quash all entertainment venues.

We don't have a problem with adult establishments (or music clubs,
restaurants and bars, or any nightlife, for that matter) lining up to open
for business in downtown Durham at this time. Reckhow's proposal is a
solution looking for a problem.

I am a resident of downtown Durham, and would welcome more live music
venues, bars, and restaurants as neighbors "in my backyard" -- like any
healthy downtown has.

Caleb

Ps: For you grammar fanatics, "Downtown Durham is already struggling with
(1) a lack of retail; and (2) vacant storefronts."

:-)

***

redhatnooblet pwnt at dook.edu wrote:

You can also send a sample message that reads like this:

Commissioner Reckhow:

Bravo for taking a tough stance on the Adult Nightclub regulations. The
last thing that Durham needs is more or any strip clubs downtown.
Downtown Durham is already struggling with a lack of retail and vacant
storefronts. Making it easy for the adult industry to inhabit this space
will make it all the more difficult to attract more wholesome
businesses. These types of establishments tend to alienate other
businesses and only promote crime.

I can certainly imagine a vibrant downtown that does not require these
types of clubs.