ch-scene - ACTION: Durham wants to kill downtown entertainment

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Caleb Southern" <southernc AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: ACTION: Durham wants to kill downtown entertainment
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 21:46:30 -0500

Chris,

You are basically correct. This Reckhow proposal would potentially impact
any entertainment businesses downtown. (I'm not sure if alcohol is a
trigger; this is a zoning policy matter, which is even broader.)

Frank Duke, the Durham Planning Director who gave the quote about Joe and
Jo's, is very careful with his language and does not make mistakes. He knows
downtown Durham (including Joe and Jo's) very well. He knew exactly what he
was saying.

Any of you who have concerns may want to call:

Ellen Reckhow (Chair, Durham County Commissioners)
383-3883
EReckhow AT aol.com

Bill Kalkhof (President, Downtown Durham, Inc.)
682-2800
bkalkhof AT downtowndurham.com

Caleb

Chris Calloway ifoufo at yahoo.com wrote:
Thu Dec 8 17:53:50 EST 2005

--- Caleb Southern <southernc at mindspring.com> wrote:
> It would
> also, according to Durham
> Planning Director Frank Duke, threaten
> establishments like Blayloc and Joe &
> Jo's.

I need to understand this, because it confused me when
Joe & Jo's was mentioned in the paper yesterday.

Idunno anything about Blayloc. But Joe & Jo's is a
restaurant with a live entertainment license, neither
a private nightclub nor a strip club. Is this about
anybody with a liquor license?