ch-scene - Re: cradle & arts center move

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Calloway <ifoufo AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: cradle & arts center move
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:22:35 -0800 (PST)

all hail the new urbanism.

video store lofts for all my friends.

i, for one, look forward to what our new place making
overlords have to say.

"as we grow more isolated from each other, personal
gripes grow into blanket truths. we have lots of
opinions and we shout them angrily into the wind."

"well planned cities can compensate for declining
incomes by decreasing the cost of living."

"cities are gentrified by the following types of
people in sequence: first the risk-oblivious
(artists), then the risk-aware (developers), finally
the risk adverse (dentists from new jersey)."

"the only remaining radical act that will scandalize
critics accustomed to everything is to build a
classical building."

"as a cultural institution, disney is more influential
than harvard."

"craftsmen work in a pre-literate world."

"the architectural avant-garde extols cinematic
illusion but denigrate its masterpiece: williamsburg."

"the avant-garde mistakes individualism (which is
common) for creativity (which is rare)."

"modern architecture, as defined by the pioneers, is
to serve mass culture and to be shaped by mass
production. deconstructivism does not share these
aims. it is, in fact, produced by exquisite craft
technique and appreciated only by a cultural elite --
it is a revival fit for rusk. their claims of social
radicalism is comically at odds with the expensive
houses and chic ristoranti of its production. only the
neurosis of its practitioners confirms its modernist
currency."

"there are two types of environmentalists: those who
understand that the city is part of the environment
and those who do not."

"the facile delusions which conceal from us our true
situation all amount to this: that we are, or can be,
wiser than the wisest men of the past. and it seems to
me that the cause of this situation is that we have
lost all authoritative traditions in which we can
trust." (this little gem from project for new american
century granddaddy, leo strauss.)

"we have legislators who think it their duty only to
listen to the people instead of becoming expert on the
subjects which they must decide upon."

"you either have rules or you have anarchy; and the
enforcement of rules requires a hierarchy."

"this much is evident: aesthetics matter very much to
the middle class."

"it is the absurd premise of real estate marketing to
offer buildings of uniqueness, exclusivity and luxury
to everyman."

"art, in a democracy, should be valued, not by an
elite, but by the marketplace."