ch-scene - Re: cradle & arts center move

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: jenn.halter AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: cradle & arts center move
  • Date: 25 Feb 2005 06:36:54 -0800

That's what I was asking everyone else because honestly I don't have a
big problem with what they're doing, looks-wise (except for the big
parking garage right at the front of the property, ugh).

Personally I'd prefer something more urban looking
(glass/concrete/slate) over the faux-olde towney feel (already captured
at Meadowmont), but more urban wouldn't fit into the overall feel of
Carrboro would it? Also, how about some unique touch, something that
would distinguish it from your typical New Urban Development
(http://www.newurbannews.com/AboutNewUrbanism.html). I'm not sure yet
what that would be. Outdoor artwork created by local artisits
incorporated into the design? Some place to show movies in the summer
outside?

I like the creation of another outdoor space to draw people out from
Weaver Street and over across the way- then perhaps the retail shops
that open over on the Acme side of Main Street will get some business
as people explore the area more (since right now there isn't much of a
compelling reason for a family to go for a walk down Main St. toward
Chapel Hill). An example is the good amount of foot traffic between the
Weave and the Farmer's Market. If a community gathering place can be
created at 300 Main St. then we'd see the same thing in the other
direction.

I think we're lucky to have a space that to work with. How very cool to
have the ArtsCenter and the Cradle in the same place, without a
Blockbuster or Applebees right next to them....the businesses in that
area deserve an update.

-Jenn