ch-scene - Re: waitpersons for godot

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Nathaniel Florin <npflorin AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: waitpersons for godot
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:08:00 -0800 (PST)

In regards to "The Star SPangled Banner"

> Duncan Murrell wrote:
>
> I believe the tune is based on a song with different

> lyrics. Does that count?

No. I mean, when you write music during wartime you
have to, you know, write music.

"Star Spangled Banner" was written to the tune of "To
Anacreon in Heaven", which is always described as a
"English drinking song". This proves that drinking
wasn't nearly as much fun in the early 19th century as
it is now.

Nate