ch-scene - Re: Note to waitpersons

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Note to waitpersons
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:30:52 -0500

While I give them all the credit in the world, I don't know that they'd be able to suss out the exact total of the various bills on the tray & do the subtraction in the split-second between picking up the tray & asking the question. & anyway, I don't think the change is ever less than 15%; the problem is more often than it's upwards of 25%.

But I've been semi-persuaded via a variety of channels that there are enough crackpots who really *do* behave strangely when change is returned to the table that I'm just going to have to come up with a whole new strategy. I'm thinking barter with livestock or artisan cheeses might do the trick.

James Hepler wrote:
Maybe they think you're "new money" and don't know the
appropriate procedure!

My question is, do they ever ask you that when your
change amounts to less than 15% of the tab?

Hep