ch-scene - Re: today's active lifestyles

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Woody" <woody AT deadceo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: today's active lifestyles
  • Date: 12 Jan 2005 09:23:05 -0800

I forgot about Deerhoof...

but, I didn't necessarily want to qualify one thing as good or another
as bad since at this point it's all a flat landscape. I agree that
concepts of "newness" are problematic but I think it is fair to talk
about people dealing with formalist aspects of the construction of the
rock song versus recontextualization of rock's past moments. For
visual folks, let's go with Jackson Pollock versus Ed Ruscha, maybe.

While Polvo is fairly boring as far as rhythm, they were definitely
interested in how melodic/harmonic content is constructed in ways that
I feel weren't about referencing no wave and Sonic Youth. I'm just
saying conceptually there is a large difference between !!! and the
Flying Luttenbachers (that even sounds silly to me). I mean !!! is
meant to be heard as 1981 NYC in 2004 while I'd argue something dealing
more with form like US Maple is not supposed to be 1971 Beefheart now.

My argument isn't really about newness but about representation.
Tortoise's Millions Now Living or TNT records might not be conceptually
that far off from DJ Shadow's Endtroducing except they happened to play
their samples of Morricone, Neu, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Reich, etc...
While I hear stuff like Dog Faced Hermans in Cantwell, Gomez, and
Jordan, they're not about that finger pointing to Dog Faced Hermans
Is this making sense? Am I off base here? rock on.

-Woody