ch-scene - Re: 24 HR Party People!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: bendy <bendy AT duke.edu>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: 24 HR Party People!
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 12:05:54 -0500

Steven Keith wrote:
But the
Monday's? Neither my wife or I or had heard of them. Must a' been
swimming too long in the main stream.

Happy Mondays were huge in England, a band that totally defined their moment- to English ears, they defined all that was Manchester in one fell swoop- New Order, Buzzcocks, the Fall, the Smiths. I was living in England at the time, and they totally baffled my American ears. Sounded like a bunch of stoners trying to be funky. I bought a record, and sold it right away to the singer in my band, who couldn't believe I didn't like it. Mancurian Soul, matey. Not only did you have to be there, you had to be born there.

In America, they were, at most, stars of the cutout bin, like EMF and Jesus Jones.

I think that kind of jumbled dance rock fills a social niche similar jam rock in America- replace the pot, jeeps, and white ballcaps with ecstacy, hi-end cell phones and jogging suits.

Bendy