ch-scene - Re: best place to vote early in Durham

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: best place to vote early in Durham
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:19:35 -0400

Best place to vote early in Durham or anywhere else is first-thing Tuesday morning when the polls open. I dunno about Durham but in Chatham that's 6:30 a.m. I think some counties may commence at 6:00 a.m.

I *guarantee* you that the lines won't be too long, and unless you're actually going to be out-of-town at the time, I'm betting that most of you won't have anything else other than sleeping to do.

This whole no-excuses-absentee/"early" voting thing is a wonderful idea, but it kinda mystifies me why so many people are willing to stand in line for hours & hours to vote "early" at one of a handful of places when there will be dozens-to-hundreds of better-prepared, more equally subdivided places to vote on Tuesday.

Yes, people who'll be working at the polls or working get-out-the-vote efforts on Tuesday should vote early. People who'll be out of town should vote early. People whose jobs require them to be at work by 6:00 a.m. should vote early.

But I've talked to multiple people who've stood in line to vote early for no other reason than that, apparently, it's the thing to do this year. Sure, election day is gonna be *weird* for a variety of reasons, but I can't imagine there's any more chance of any one of you being disenfranchised this year than in previous years.

If you can set an alarm & get to the polls first-thing on Tuesday, you'll probably even beat the Republican "challengers" who'll be standing around trying to invent probable cause to challenge your right to vote.

xo

Ross

1101010 wrote:
So.. Hillside can apparently accomodate 5 voters at a time and it's an hour wait from "the corner". Since it was lined up well back of that we bagged it for tonight. Anybody have some tips on a good time/place to vote without an hour and half wait? I'm starting to think election day might be better.