ch-scene - Re: Guitar pick ups

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Tim Harper" <tharper AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Guitar pick ups
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 01:24:03 GMT

"Chris Calloway" <ifoufo AT yahoo.com> wrote in message
20040814173421.69629.qmail AT web41412.mail.yahoo.com">news:20040814173421.69629.qmail AT web41412.mail.yahoo.com...
> --- Chris Rossi <rossi AT webslingerZ.com> wrote:
> > As a point of reference, I'd rather have a sweet
> > toneful pick up than
> > something with a really hot output. That's what the
> > gain on my amp is
> > for. In all likelihood these Lindy Fralin pick ups
> > for $230 would sound
> > fantastic, but that's a lot of dough.
>
> Lindy Fralin are really hot pickups with piercing
> feedback with gaininess even with mild overdrive.
> They're also made for Fenders.
>
> When you same "sweet toneful," have specific
> characteristics, otherwise you are just saying,
> "that's what I'd use." I say this because I know you
> are capable of saying specifically what those
> characteristics are (this dbm level of output with
> this particular curve and this particular transient
> response).
>
> If you can't, then the invisible hand of Tim Harper
> can. :)
>
> And then when you are done, can I have your piercing
> pickups? I bet I can get $230 for them on ebay.
>
> If you just want to go by ear, you'll just have to try
> a lot of pickups, which will get expensive. Because
> your idea of sweet and toneful will just come down to
> somebody else's "that's what I use."
>
> I find lots of Gibson replacement parts:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=%22gibson+pickups%22
>
> Luv, 3

You rang?

http://www.gibsonstrings.com/pickups/burstpro.shtml burstbucker - seems to
be a fav these days.
http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Gibson-Pickups--3105

The second link gives you more info on each of the pickups offered.

It's been so long since I even touched a real guitar that you should talk to
an actual guitar player with tech info. Terry MacInturff, Steve Carr, etc. I
bet Mike Ayers at Fat Sound guitars in Cary would be a big help. 467.1003

Tim