ch-scene - Guitar pick ups

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <rossi AT webslingerZ.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Guitar pick ups
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 12:48:10 -0400

Hey. I've got a Les Paul studio with microphonic pick ups. Piercing feedback with any kind of gaininess in the signal at all, even mild overdrive. I'd like to replace them but am having a hard time tracking down any good info. So far everyone I've called on the phone falls into one of two categories:

1) Uh, we got some pickups on our wall that say "Gibson" on them. I don't know if they'd work in a Les Paul.

2) We have these sweet sounding boutique pickups for $230/pair.

I'd rather buy from somebody who at the very least knows what it is they're selling and speak about it intelligently. Or failing that, I'm hoping maybe somebody here who knows more about guitar pick ups than I do will point me to some info that would enable me to make a decently informed choice and maybe even some place employing intelligent informed people willing to sell them to me.

As a point of reference, I'd rather have a sweet toneful pick up than something with a really hot output. That's what the gain on my amp is for. In all likelihood these Lindy Fralin pick ups for $230 would sound fantastic, but that's a lot of dough. Maybe just the stock replacement parts from Gibson would be fine, but I can't even find those on the Gibson web site, much less info anywhere else. Anybody?

I started to get into this several months ago and walked into a local store and asked the guy there what they had in pick ups for Les Paul style guitars. He picked up a set of pickups and said, "These." I asked, "Why?" And he goes, "That's what I use." I didn't buy from that guy.

Thanks for any help,

rossi