ch-scene - Re: Guitar pick ups

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <rossi AT webslingerZ.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Guitar pick ups
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:07:44 -0400

Chris Calloway wrote:
--- Chris Rossi <rossi AT webslingerZ.com> wrote:

As a point of reference, I'd rather have a sweet
toneful pick up than something with a really hot output. That's what the
gain on my amp is for. In all likelihood these Lindy Fralin pick ups
for $230 would sound fantastic, but that's a lot of dough.

Lindy Fralin are really hot pickups with piercing
feedback with gaininess even with mild overdrive.
They're also made for Fenders.

They also make humbuckers and P-90 style pick ups aimed at Gibson guitars.

And then when you are done, can I have your piercing
pickups? I bet I can get $230 for them on ebay.

The tone is not piercing. The microphonic feedback is. There are two kinds of guitar feedback, this is the bad kind. Strings are not part of the equation. The kind people actually make musical use of is the kind that actually drives your strings not the pick up itself. The symptoms exhibited by these pickups are signs of aging, and not the good kind. Maybe there's some way to fix it. I don't know.

thanks,
rossi