ch-scene - Re: Guitar pick ups

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: david gourley <davidg AT ipass.net>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Guitar pick ups
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:01:37 -0500

rossi AT webslingerZ.com (Chris Rossi) wrote in the
aforementioned411E424A.1080700 AT webslingerZ.com:">news:411E424A.1080700 AT webslingerZ.com:

> Hey. I've got a Les Paul studio with microphonic pick ups. Piercing
> feedback with any kind of gaininess in the signal at all, even mild
> overdrive. I'd like to replace them but am having a hard time tracking
> down any good info. So far everyone I've called on the phone falls
into
> one of two categories:
>
> 1) Uh, we got some pickups on our wall that say "Gibson" on them. I
> don't know if they'd work in a Les Paul.
>
> 2) We have these sweet sounding boutique pickups for $230/pair.
>
> I'd rather buy from somebody who at the very least knows what it is
> they're selling and speak about it intelligently. Or failing that, I'm
> hoping maybe somebody here who knows more about guitar pick ups than I
> do will point me to some info that would enable me to make a decently
> informed choice and maybe even some place employing intelligent
informed
> people willing to sell them to me.
>
> As a point of reference, I'd rather have a sweet toneful pick up than
> something with a really hot output. That's what the gain on my amp is
> for. In all likelihood these Lindy Fralin pick ups for $230 would
sound
> fantastic, but that's a lot of dough. Maybe just the stock replacement
> parts from Gibson would be fine, but I can't even find those on the
> Gibson web site, much less info anywhere else. Anybody?
>
> I started to get into this several months ago and walked into a local
> store and asked the guy there what they had in pick ups for Les Paul
> style guitars. He picked up a set of pickups and said, "These." I
> asked, "Why?" And he goes, "That's what I use." I didn't buy from
that
> guy.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> rossi

I'm having the same problem with my Epiphone. I don't need super-hot
p/u's, so I was looking into whatever a Patent-Applied-For or equivalent
to Seymour Duncan's 'Pearly Gates' ... Then I got distracted by some
other project.

Generally, the hotter p/u's have more inductance, which will reduce high-
end response. Conversely, the clearer p/u's will have lower inductance
and lower output. Then there's the 'coil-splitter' switching, which I
find favorable.

Seems like you wouldn't have to go $200, but I haven't priced 'em lately.

david