ch-scene - Re: Raleigh/the Triangle #4 in underappreciated rock scenes

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady AT ibiblio.org
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Raleigh/the Triangle #4 in underappreciated rock scenes
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:29:42 -0500

Well, I haven't read the Esquire article (and the list seems to be pretty fucked-up in a lot of ways, so I don't really plan to), but if I were going to bother making a list of cities that "rock," I'd hope to be doing so in the present tense, which is generally the timeframe that rock music occurs in.

So citing the Dead would seem to be kinda pointless in that context, since Jerry's dead & all; you're not gonna be able to fly into SFO and actually see the Dead playing live. And no, any current thing involving Bob Weir doesn't count.

And if they're talking rock history as opposed to contemporary rock, then I think they might need to reconsider their list.

Anyway. I think Duncan was getting at the same thing I'm getting at.

Ross

p.s. I saw the Dead twice. Had more fun the 2nd time than the first time. I don't own anything by them anymore (although I'll admit to having been tempted by the DVD-A's of Workingmans Dead & American Beauty) but could still karaoke any number of their songs if I were prone to do that sort of thing. But then the same is true of the Carpenters, and David Allan Coe, so I don't know what any of this says about me.

naught AT nil.com wrote:

Duncan Murrell <duncan AT rattlejar.com> wrote:

And then, the most absurd thing of all is including the Grateful Dead on a list of anything. San Francisco "rockers" must really love that one.

Really?! I'm not any sort of obsessive fan of the Dead but it's kind of
hard to ignore their contribution to American music. And for people who
like guitar music, Garcia had a wonderfully inventive spirit that I
think had no real parallel. Maybe you're objecting to them being used
in the same sentence as "rock?" I might make the same case for at least
some of the other acts listed.

Mike Babyak