ch-scene - Re: Raleigh/the Triangle #4 in underappreciated rock scenes

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Raleigh/the Triangle #4 in underappreciated rock scenes
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:12:56 -0800 (PST)

--- naught AT nil.com wrote:
> Duncan Murrell <duncan AT rattlejar.com> wrote:
> >
> > And then, the most absurd thing of all is
> including the Grateful Dead
> > on a list of anything. San Francisco "rockers"
> must really love that
> > one.
> >

> Really?! I'm not any sort of obsessive fan of the
> Dead but it's kind of
> hard to ignore their contribution to American music.
> And for people who
> like guitar music, Garcia had a wonderfully
> inventive spirit that I
> think had no real parallel. Maybe you're objecting
> to them being used
> in the same sentence as "rock?" I might make the
> same case for at least
> some of the other acts listed.

I think one of the points is, if you are going to have
a list like that, do you have to go back that far to
find a band worth mentioning? Ben Folds Five? Not
around. Grateful Dead, not around.

I mean, even talking about that list is kinda
justifying its existence. I would have been much
happier had it been summed up with a resounding, "HEH"
and left to die.

Maybe I'm just pissed because they left James Taylor
and Clay Aiken off our list.