cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Academics are not free either...

  • From: Andy Powell <a.powell AT ukoln.ac.uk>
  • To: Jonathan Mitchell <website3 AT jonathanmitchell.info>
  • Cc: Creative Commons UK <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Academics are not free either...
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 14:36:29 +0100 (GMT Standard Time)

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Jonathan Mitchell wrote:

6. Bath : "In accordance with normal academic practice, and unless agreed
otherwise, the University does not claim copyright in scholarly output
produced by staff or students in the course of their employment or research
work or in the course of studies at the University".

I know there are institutions that do make wide claims to copyright in
academic writing, and most if not all universities do make some claims to
employee IP. But this six-nil result suggests that Paul Harkins was broadly
correct in writing "Academics can happily use CC licenses for their work ".

Not being a lawyer, I'm confused by this discussion! The Bath clause above (I'm an employee at the Uni of Bath and hence have a direct interest in this particular case - but I suspect it's an issue that is applicable more generally) is an execption to the more general claim

The University claims ownership of all IP arising from work undertaken by
staff, whether academic or non-academic, in the course of their
employment by the University, or which relates to their area of academic
activity, or which is specifically assigned to them, in their contract of
employment or otherwise, or developed under a contract between themselves
and the University or between the University and a third party(ies),
subject to the exceptions listed in paragraph 3.3 below.

As you say, this broader claim is probably typical within universities.

Does this broader claim over 'all IP' (followed by an exception for copyright over 'scholarly output') have any impact on my ability to assign a CC licence to my 'scholarly output'?

I appreciate that people won't want to give specific legal advice on the list - but I'm interested in what impact claims over ownership of IP other than copyright have an the ability to assign CC licences to stuff.

Apologies if this is a very naive or downright stupid question!

Andy
--
Distributed Systems, UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/a.powell