cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Idiotic decision from Berlin as to CC licenses

  • From: Paul Miller <P.Miller AT hull.ac.uk>
  • To: Jonathan Mitchell <website3 AT jonathanmitchell.info>
  • Cc: Creative Commons UK <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>, roland AT creativecommons.org, p.miller AT jisc.ac.uk
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Idiotic decision from Berlin as to CC licenses
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:46:20 +0000

>From the discussion I have observed on this list, and my understanding (such
>as
it is) of the very different legal frameworks in England & Wales as opposed to
Scotland, I would be extremely keen to see a solution developed such as that
which appeared to be proposed in the earlier exchanges between Jonathan and
the
team in Oxford.

The current licence is good, and works for England and Wales. Launch it as
such,
and allow us to use it, rather than diminishing its worth by pretending it's
something that it's not (a UK licence). Work in parallel towards a Scottish
licence, and a Northern Irish one. These need not come out next week along
with
the English & Welsh licence, so long as everyone is clear that they're coming.
Further, work TOGETHER towards an understanding of how these licences fit
together, and offer guidance on how a UK-wide activity might licence content
(presumably, as is already done for other contracts, by simply picking ONE,
and
saying that the content is licenced under Scots law, English law, or
whatever).

I would, of course, be interested in seeing the views of both the Oxford team
and the BBC Creative Archive team, both of whom are closer to this and more
versed in the legal intricacies than I.

I am Director of a UK-spanning activity and would, in most cases, pick (any)
one
of the licences. However, members of the organisation have differing
geographical remits with some covering only Scotland, only England, etc. I
would not currently feel able to recommend or require that Scotland-specific
activities taking place under the broader CIE umbrella be licenced under
English law.

If there is anything that the CIE *can* do to assist in moving towards
resolution here, please do not hesitate to ask.

Paul

--
Dr Paul Miller
Director, Common Information Environment

e: p.miller AT jisc.ac.uk m: +44 (7779) 669542
w: www.common-info.org.uk/ aim/ iChat/ Yahoo!: ciedirector

Participate in the "CIE Thoughts" Blog at www.common-info.org.uk/thoughts/
Keep current with the "CIE News" Blog at www.common-info.org.uk/news/