cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] [cc-au] It's all about google!

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Sam Stephens <sam AT postmoderncore.com>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] [cc-au] It's all about google!
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:19:23 +1200

As I remember, the idea of the open sourcing wasn't to enable people to
use and share the games themselves, but instead to understand and reuse
some of the ideas in the game code.

I would think the main benefit for iD Software would have been the
publicity, getting people talking about Doom and Quake and going on a
nostalgia trip, and therefore making them interested in iDs next product.

The idea of open sourcing game engines, but selling and keeping under
copyright the creative assets (maps, graphics, etc), is an interesting
one I saw floating around a couple of years ago, but haven't really
heard much of.