cc-metadata - Re: questions on the RDF/XML

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Lisa Rein <lisarein AT finetuning.com>
  • To: Ben Hammersley <ben AT benhammersley.com>
  • Cc: Shelley Powers <shelleyp AT burningbird.net>, metadata AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: Re: questions on the RDF/XML
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 11:49:54 -0800

Hi all :-)

shelly said:
For instance, I don't want my photos used within 'racist' content. So
I might add a prohibition against 'racist use'. Simple thing to modify
the RDF/XML, but what will this do to the validity of the license?

Obviously you'll need a new license with this prohibition. The license
characteristics are descriptive.

True, which means I can't modify the RDF/XML for prohibits without getting
the CC to agree to the new license type.

to which ben said:

or to invent your own license and give it a URI all of its own. We can do that, without CC giving a damn, right? (as long as we don't use the CC logo etc.)

Ben's suggestion is actually the *only* current solution to this situation.

If you modify the license to include a "racist" prohibition, you are no longer using one of our licenses. End of story.

It is crucial to this entire project that we don't have "Modified Creative Commons" licenses floating around.

You would also be required to take the CC logo of your page if you were using your own modified license creation for that page.

Thanks,

lisa