cc-metadata - questions on the RDF/XML

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Shelley Powers" <shelleyp AT burningbird.net>
  • To: <metadata AT creativecommons.org>
  • Subject: questions on the RDF/XML
  • Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 22:06:08 -0600

--resent after subscribing--

I'm working a book on RDF/XML and want to include the CC license RDF/XML
within it. I had a couple of questions:

I did read the section on why you all extended the structure of the
dc:rights and dc:creator. And I understand that you're trying to clarify
some of the confusion about these elements. But I'm not sure why adding the
extra structure clarifies any confusion. In the example you mention a
copyright name holder and a date, but dc:rights can be a name, and dc:date
is the date -- is it just the ability to add a URI that enhances the
structure?

Second, what kind of mods can we make to the RDF/XML and still not validate
the 'license'? In other words, how much of the license is dependent on the
RDF? We can tweak the RDF/XML and still get the same model, but how much of
this is dependent. For instance, could I use dc:rights as its used
elsewhere?

Third, are you all going to be adding comments to the schema for something
like Brownsauce?

The only prohibition so far is commercial use. Can we modify prohibition to
add our own? We can't modify the 'license', because that's static at CC. And
I know we can alter the surrounding text for the RDF/XML in the pages,
finetune what the data is connected to. But what can we do with the data
contained in the RDF/XML without it voiding the license?

Thanks

Shelley

Shelley Powers shelleyp AT burningbird.net

Burning Bird Network: http://www.burningbird.net