cc-metadata - Re: questions on the RDF/XML

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Aaron Swartz <me AT aaronsw.com>
  • To: metadata AT creativecommons.org
  • Cc: Shelley Powers <shelleyp AT burningbird.net>
  • Subject: Re: questions on the RDF/XML
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 11:43:34 -0600

[oops, meant to reply to all. Shelley, mind forwarding your reply to the list too?]

Shelley Powers wrote:
I'm not sure why adding the extra structure [in dc:rights and dc:creator] clarifies any confusion. In the example you mention a copyright name holder and a date, but dc:rights can be a name, and dc:date is the date -- is it just the ability to add a URI that enhances the structure?

dc:creator is defined as "An entity primarily responsible for making the content of the resource." not "The name of an entity [...]". It's important not to confuse things with their names.

A similar argument can be made for dc:rights.

Second, what kind of mods can we make to the RDF/XML and still not validate
the 'license'?

Do you mean invalidate?

In other words, how much of the license is dependent on the RDF? We can tweak the RDF/XML and still get the same model, but how much of this is dependent. For instance, could I use dc:rights as its used elsewhere?

What do you mean by dependent? The RDF is just a machine-readable version of what's in the HTML: "This work is under the X license, created by Y, etc."

To bind the license to the work, I think only the cc:license is necessary, but I'm not sure whether a court would hold the RDF to be legally binding.

Third, are you all going to be adding comments to the schema for something
like Brownsauce?

Hm, I haven't played with BrownSauce yet. If you can tell me what the necessary comments are, I'd be happy to add them.

The only prohibition so far is commercial use. Can we modify prohibition to
add our own?

You can create your own thins with rdf:type cc:Prohibition. Is that what you mean?

We can't modify the 'license', because that's static at CC. And
I know we can alter the surrounding text for the RDF/XML in the pages,
finetune what the data is connected to. But what can we do with the data
contained in the RDF/XML without it voiding the license?

You can obviously say more things about the license, but if they are inaccurate, it may call the binding of the license into question in court, just as you would if you say "this song is public domain but you must get my permission before performing for money".
--
Aaron Swartz [http://www.aaronsw.com] Creative Commons Metadata Lead