cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC ShareAlike: Include a requirement for source form of the work?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab AT web.de>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC ShareAlike: Include a requirement for source form of the work?
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 09:55:01 +0100

Am Montag, 2. Februar 2015, 18:35:24 schrieb Cc:
> > And if someone wants to modify the image with the same degree of
> > freedom (...same range of options) that's the version they'd need.
>
> Then they can take their own image!

I would consider that against the spirit of enabling others to use
cultural works if they share alike.

I understand why CC by-sa does not have a source requirement, but what
I understand are the practical reasons, not any value in not providing
them.

> Many of us would take something like a day or two to download 2Gb of
> data, and it would take a week to upload that amount too. In fact the
> last time I download some garmin maps it took 36 hours.

It’s not like you need to download the sources of every cultural work
you have. It’s easy to start drafting with low-quality versions and to
swap these for the sources when they are finished.

Also large free software projects are multi-gigabyte in size, too, und
people manage that.

> > A source requirement isn't going to be added, but it's not as
> > outlandish for professional/semi-professional production as it might seem.

> The locations to store multi Tb of image and video are where? Are
> creators obliged to keep a website available? How about their heirs or
> executors?

In the GPL that’s simple: Whenever you give someone the non-source,
you have to make it possible to get the source. When you put the
non-source in a physical product, put an offer into that to provide
the source - valid for at least three years.

So you have to keep the source available for at most 3 years after you
stopped providing the non-source.

And the source is the format *you* prefer to make changes to the
content, so if you never touch the raw files again but still change
the content (using only the second-level works), you need not provide
the raw files.

Best wishes,
Arne
--