cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC ShareAlike: Include a requirement for source form of the work?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Cc <cc AT phizz.demon.co.uk>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC ShareAlike: Include a requirement for source form of the work?
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 09:31:36 +0000

On 31/01/2015 10:35, Francesco Poli wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 09:11:52 -0600 Sarah Pearson wrote:

[...]
On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Ben Finney <
bignose+hates-spam AT benfinney.id.au> wrote:

What is the current state of discussion to change the ShareAlike
requirements to guarantee the recipient can actually make derivative
works from the corresponding source?

Although it was raised
<https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2012-April/006741.html> and
discussed during the 4.0 process, CC ultimately decided not to add a source
requirement in BY-SA 4.0.

I remember the outcome and I think it was an unfortunate one.

It rejected idiocy which can't be bad. When I take a photo there is 20mb raw file to start with off with. This will normally get converted to a tiff file as the first stage of processing, now we have 40mb of source. Then I'll start using layers and saving in a format that supports them, with three blending layers the TIFF file is at 100Mb. Frequently there will be 5 or six layers used and the file will be in 150 - 200Mb or an average of 6 images per Gb. A free flickr account with 1Tb of storage wouldn't be sufficient to hold the number of images I have there already. As it is with jpeg uploads flickr tells me that I've used under 0.5% of the allotted space. If a requirement is that one makes available several Tb of data, the most likely response is going to be: http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/284/529/e65.gif

I recently took 6 minutes of HD video the resulting file is 800Mb and I've not begun to process it yet. A family member works with professional broadcast film and they rarely handle file packages that are less that 100Gb.