cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC ShareAlike: Include a requirement for source form of the work?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Cc <cc AT phizz.demon.co.uk>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC ShareAlike: Include a requirement for source form of the work?
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 18:35:24 +0000

On 01/02/2015 23:30, Rob Myers wrote:

On 01/02/15 01:31 AM, Cc wrote:

It rejected idiocy which can't be bad. When I take a photo there is
20mb raw file to start with off with. This will normally get
converted to a tiff file as the first stage of processing, now we
have 40mb of source. Then I'll start using layers and saving in a
format that supports them, with three blending layers the TIFF file
is at 100Mb. Frequently there will be 5 or six layers used and the
file will be in 150 - 200Mb or an average of 6 images per Gb.

And if someone wants to modify the image with the same degree of
freedom (...same range of options) that's the version they'd need.

Then they can take their own image!

A free flickr account with 1Tb of storage wouldn't be sufficient to
hold the number of images I have there already. As it is with jpeg
uploads flickr tells me that I've used under 0.5% of the allotted
space. If a requirement is that one makes available several Tb of
data, the most likely response is going to be:
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/284/529/e65.gif

Netflix users download ~2GB/hour to watch a movie.

Many of us would take something like a day or two to download 2Gb of data, and it would take a week to upload that amount too. In fact the last time I download some garmin maps it took 36 hours.

I recently took 6 minutes of HD video the resulting file is 800Mb
and I've not begun to process it yet. A family member works with
professional broadcast film and they rarely handle file packages
that are less that 100Gb.

How do *they* share them?

I believe they do that via HD and pen drives.

Remember that the GPL allows you to charge costs to deliver the source
"on a durable physical medium". So if it would take two dozen hard
disks to send me the source, that's what I would have to pay for.

A source requirement isn't going to be added, but it's not as
outlandish for professional/semi-professional production as it might seem.

The locations to store multi Tb of image and video are where? Are creators obliged to keep a website available? How about their heirs or executors?