cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 4.0: misc changes and date for closing public discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Diane Peters <diane AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, cc-community AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 4.0: misc changes and date for closing public discussion
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 07:19:34 -0700

I'm moving this discussion thread to cc-community.  Please continue the conversation there.

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Cc <cc AT phizz.demon.co.uk> wrote:
On 01/11/2013 01:45, Rob Myers wrote:
> On 31/10/13 11:58 AM, Cc wrote:
>>
>> The problem arises as the idiots over on wikipedia now seem
>> to think that they can delete the attribution and original
>> title, and still be in compliance with the license given
>> that the stuff will remain in the deletion history.
>
> Do you have an example of that which doesn't involve attribution being
> abused to advertise products on Wikipedia as described in the talk page
> you link to?
>
>> They are already cloning out watermarks
>
> Wikipedia is not a free promotional site for photographers. Removing
> adware from images is an improvement.

They have two options not hosting the work, or complying with the
license terms.

> There certainly is abuse happening here, but it looks more like
> Wikipedia are defending against it than perpetrating it...

Again they have two options not hosting the work, or complying with the
license terms.

Who determines whether a title or attribution is promotional or not?
Where are the license terms that say that these terms are void if the
re-users decides that they don't like the attribution name?

Could creationwiki decide not to attribute to a photographer that goes
by the name of ChildOfSatan? How about anti-Semitic groups refusing to
attribute to someone called Cohen?