cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Proposed change to the ND licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Kat Walsh <kat AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Proposed change to the ND licenses
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 14:09:39 -0800

Breaking the inline commenting here, as this will be the last reply
from CC on this thread.

I wish we could agree with you that the situation being addressed is a
non-problem. Unfortunately, we did see some issues as problems, and
drafted this change to avoid them. But several of the points you raise
are true concerns. The appearance of regulating activities which
should be already permitted without need for a license, for example,
is an issue for this and several other things the license already
addresses; we hope to make our messaging clear on these points.

You are correct that the situation you describe--licensors litigating
over supposed misuse of their ND works--is not what happens in the
vast majority of cases we see. Instead, potential reusers who care
about text and data mining avoid ND content even though it would
almost certainly be permitted, for fear about uncertainties existing in
law, because there is no way for them to remove the "almost" from
"almost certainly permitted". In many cases, "almost" is not good
enough. Some have begun to draft custom licenses that are in many ways
less desirable than the CC licenses, but do specifically permit this
kind of use--or, at least, make very specific exceptions for content
mining. We think this should already clearly be permitted under all of
our licenses, and this problem is avoidable if we remove the
uncertainty and make it explicit.

We did consider making the effect specific to text and data mining,
but discarded the idea. One reason is that defining what is and is
not text and data mining activity, without unintentionally being
underinclusive or overinclusive, is a very difficult task. But
primarily, we do think that most private uses should already be
permitted under this license, and do not think making the distinction
here would be beneficial. If we name text and data mining as
specifically permitted, it might give the mistaken impression we
believe other activity that does not result in Shared adaptations
should not be considered a private use. A general permission has the
added benefit of making the effect of the license the same across
jurisdictions, regardless of the strength of their private use
exceptions. We think it is better simply to make the permission
broad and simple.

However, it is still true that the NoDerivatives licenses do not
permit sharing of derivatives created. In most cases--perhaps almost
all cases--this is the only way the use of the work would be
regulated. The effect is essentially the same as in previous
iterations, and we are not aware of communities for whom the effect of
the change is a concern.

Because of this, we will not be backing out the introduced change, or
changing the name of the license.

-Kat