cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Frances Pinter <frances AT pinter.org.uk>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <cc-community AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 21:27:15 +0000

Hi Kat,

Thank you so much for your clear articulation of the pros and cons of
changing the NC name to CRR.

I have always been in favour of changing the name. Even though many people
now understand that NC means C is possible, though restricted and anyone who
doesn't have the C rights has to apply to the C holder to get permission to
C the licensed item under question, which may or may not be acceptable to
the C holder (you see my problem) - it is worth the pain changing over to a
much clearer flagging of what is intended.

I come out of the book publishing world, and we are now seeing steps towards
open access that would not be possible without a sensible digital licensing
policy. CC NC offers this, but could be clearer with more easily understood
labeling.

I know I've brushed over a lot of detail - but on weighing up the arguments
I'd go for CRR.

Best,
Frances